(Last updated July 17, 2007)
This is an index of key posts that discuss the two broad conclusions I articulated in my welcome post:
1. Biological evolution, including common descent of humans from pre-existing animals, is the framework that best matches current scientific evidence for describing how life developed on earth.
2. The idea of God creating through evolution is compatible with the Christian faith, an Evangelical expression of this faith, a faith that does not compromise the divine inspiration and authority of the scriptures, and is in fact theologically more satisfying than creation without evolution.
- Evangelicalism is not simply a toned down version of Fundamentalism. Fundamentalism was an extreme phase in Evangelical history and the intellectual disaster of this phase is a significant factor in the modern evangelical opposition to the theory of evolution.
- Evangelicalism has several Distinctive Characteristics. I believe that the acceptance of the theory of evolution is compatible with these Evangelical characteristics and Evangelical theology.
- Two popular Myths about the relationship between Christianity and Science need to be debunked. The first is that science and religion are inherently in conflict. The second is that Evangelicals have historically been unanimously opposed to scientific views of an old earth and biological evolution.
- I believe that discussing and rethinking evolution is very important for Evangelicals since our anti-evolutionism discourages Evangelicals from studying science, causes some Evangelicals to abandon their faith in Christ, can cause us to compromise our integrity, and keeps many others from even examining the claims of Christ.
- We do not need to choose either Creation or Evolution. We can choose both.
- Neither do we need to choose to believe the evidence of modern science or God’s revelation in scripture. Again, we can trust both.
- When interpreting the bible, we do not have to choose between a liberal or a literal interpretation. In fact, we need choose neither
- Acceptance of Evolution does not rule out being created in the Image of God.